Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Thing 11: Instant Messaging

In the past I've used IM and found it very capable. When my brother went to college in TN we used IM some to chat with him, since he was constantly on the computer. I use the chat feature in FB now to chat with my friends and family when their online at the same time as me.
I would like to have an IM network set up at work to let people know when I need help at the circ desk instead of having to track down someone before I leave the desk or if I'm so busy and can't stop what I'm doing to get backup. I would be able to ask for backup with the click of a few keys and that would be the end of it. That is if they show up. Since I work in consortium this would also be a handy tool for asking questions to other branches and getting a quick response without me calling them and waiting for answer. IM is a great tool and would definitely use more if my computer time was more for fun instead of work and school.

1 comment:

  1. Those are some really good ideas for using IM at work. We just started using it for Reference from our web pages, but I like your ideas for staff use.

    ReplyDelete