Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thing 13: Tagging

Tagging

I think tagging is terrific for personal collections of photos, documents, and posts. However when there is no control over what terms are used people are left unable to find many of the items thay might desire due to differences in terminology. What I might term as cooking or cookbooks is referred to in my library catalog as cookery. This I consider to be a poor design choice on the behalf of the catalog creators, they should have choosen a term that is more current with today's vernacular not that of the early 19th century.
The question posed was does tagging belong in the library? My current answer would be no to any physical collection the library possesses. However digital collections, such as photos of library events should be tagged for users to be able to easily identify the event they were involved in.

No comments:

Post a Comment